Founder and President (2003-2019), Retired/Consultant (2019-)
Thomas F. McCaffery is the Founder of McCaffery & Associates, Inc. and its predecessor company. He was the company's President from 2003 until he retired in 2019. He now works as an independent contractor and assists our team of licensed marine engineers, licensed deck officers, shipyard executives, naval officers, and other professionals who locate historical records of naval and maritime policies, practices, procedures, and doctrine in the following general areas: ship, aircraft and vehicle design; ship, aircraft and vehicle construction; ship, aircraft and vehicle maintenance and repair procurement, contracting and purchasing; personnel and personnel training; personnel safety and occupational health.
Mr. McCaffery is qualified as an expert witness in the federal court and in the courts of eleven states. He served as a U.S. Navy officer for 26 years with the final rank of commander, and as a licensed deck officer in the Merchant Marine with a Chief Mate, Unlimited Tonnage, Any Ocean license. His hobbies include sailing, scuba diving and martial arts (third-degree black belt, taekwondo).
Education, Training, Licenses, Designations, and Professional Affiliations:
- MBA, Georgetown University, International Business
- U.S. Naval War College, College of Naval Command and Staff
- B.S., with Honor, U.S. Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point
- Chief Mate, Any Gross Tons, Any Ocean, U.S. Coast Guard
- Commander, U.S. Navy Reserve (retired)
- Navy Commendation Medal (two awards)
- Navy Achievement Medal (two awards)
- Merchant Marine Gallant Ship Citation
- Meritorius Unit Commendation
- U.S. Navy Designations / Qualifications (partial list)
- Executive Officer Afloat
- Command Center Watch Officer
- Transportation Director
- Plans and Policies Director
- Engineering Liaison Officer
- Shipping Operations Officer
- Weapons Logistics / Logistics Officer
- Operations and Plans Officer
- Security Clearance –TOP SECRET
- Member, Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers (1990 to present)
- Director, American Maritime History Project
Get to Know Our Team
Thomas F. McCaffery's Speech
Tom McCaffery delivers the Battle Standard Dinner address at the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy on April 7, 2014.
Did You Know?
Tom wrote this harrowing account of his role in the rescue of over 500 people off the burning cruise ship SS Prinsendam while he was serving on the crew of the SS Williamsburgh in the Pacific Ocean off Alaska. Tom and all the members of the Williamsburgh were awarded the Merchant Marine Gallant Ship Citation as a result of this daring rescue at sea.
Tom wrote an article that was published in the U.S. Naval Institute's Proceedings about the direction of the United States Merchant Marine Academy, suggesting some changes in the administration of the federal service academy.